Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Panel

I really enjoyed Nick and Cj coming in to our class this week. For me, I knew a lot of that stuff because I am friends with Nick and other people that have different sexual preferences than being straight. But for people that don't know much a lot about it, which is actually a large majority of our school, it was a great learning experience. Probably more than fifty percent of our school throws around the word faggot more than once a day. I hear it all the time just walking through the halls. I thought it was semi-widely known why people call gay people faggots, how Nick explained during the panel, but I guess it was a great realization to some people. My friend from another sociology class actually came up to me after and told me that the panel really changed his view on people with sexual preferences and that he had no idea where the word faggot came from before Nick explained. I think that example right there is what Nick and Cj, and the rest of the panel, wanted to get out of it. They wanted us to know that just because your gay doesn't mean you aren't a person with feelings. Also, that all people in the LGBT, and the other letters I forget, should not be stereotyped because everyone is different.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think that even if you don't like a person or don't necessarily support them, you can still show respect and treat them kindly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree also that everyone is different and shouldn't be stereotyped. We're all different gay or straight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is important for people to know that words can be very offensive and to be mindful of what you say and how you treat others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that everyone deserves respect. Being socially mindful can go a long way in making a difference in the way people are treated in the future. Good post!

    ReplyDelete