Thursday, May 10, 2012
Monopoly
When we played monopoly in class the other day, we played it using different social classes. It was very unfair because the richest person started the game already owning multiple spots on the game board. This put them at a very large advantage, and almost guaranteed a win for them. Another advantage that they had was every time they passed go they got a lot of money. Me, being the poorest, only got around 70 bucks each time I passed go. It was very frustrating not being able to buy anything because I didn't want to go into debt, but if I didn't buy anything I wouldn't make any investments. I know it was just a game, but it really did mirror real social classes. People who are "old" rich start off with so much, that they don't have to work as hard, but will still succeed in life. The people who are the poorest, like I was in the game, have to be very careful with what they spend their money on. I really like this lesson
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Even though I didn't participate in this activity, it is clear to see from your post that it demonstrated the inability of the working-poor to easily move up the socio-economic ladder. This is sad, but a reality in our society.
ReplyDeleteI also was on the lower side of class during Monopoly and I also found it frustrating.
ReplyDeleteI agree monopoly was frustrating because no matter how hard the people at the bottom tried, they couldn't compete with those who were just handed the wealth.
ReplyDelete