Thursday, April 26, 2012

30 days in jail

Before watching this video I didn't really know much about jail. I didn't know the top reasons most people go to jail for or how many return, or much at all. Watching this video, I found out some statistics that really scare me. I think it said that a fourth of our population is in jail, and that 60 percent or something return. To me, that just says something is wrong with the jail system. The video also said that more people that have mental issues are in prisons than in mental state institutions. That fact really bothers me. I believe that those people that have mental issues should be cared about enough to recieve help. Sitting in a jail cell is not going to fix anything. Also I think it said 50 percent of people in jail are in for drug related reasons. To me, selling or doing drugs really isn't a threat to bystanders like a rapist or murderer is. People that are selling drugs and doing drugs do not need to be in jail, they need to go to rehab and get help, because once again sitting in jail isn't helping them at all. Finding out all of these things really scared me and made me feel very hopeless for the people in jail that need real help. It is awesome that some jails do have therapy sessions for people, but in the jail Morgan went to, there was nothing like that. If they are going to place mental and addicted people into jails, they atleast need to provide them with help.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that rehab is better than jail for drug addicts. If society still wants to put drug addicts in jail, then I think that all jails should be required to have a rehabilitation program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is clear that the system should try to make some changes to decrease the amount of people that return to jail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was crazy how fast the prisiners gained weight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that prisoners with drug problems need to be sent to rehab instead of prison because the only thing isolating them in a cell will do is make them much more eager to relapse as soon as they get out, which they do and end up in the same place again. I also agree that a prison cell is no place for the mentally ill since they can't always be accountable for their actions. They need to be getting help rather than falling into the same habits and potentially endangering others.

    ReplyDelete