Thursday, April 19, 2012
Saints and Roughnecks
We read an article called Saints and Roughnecks that really showed how much one judges on appearance. These two groups of high school boys commited similar crimes, but one group was punished a lot more often. The group that got away with it was better dressed, involved in school and recieved good grades. The group that didn't get away with it just didn't "look as good." In my middle school we all basically put in the same amount of work, of course there were exceptions. Teachers looked down on kids a lot more who wore their jeans to their knees and had slicked back hair, but the kids that dressed nice were treated a lot better. Appearance doesn't say everything about someone, but in todays society, people make it that way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree, and I think if people want to be taken seriously they usually need to dress the part. I'm not sure if that is okay but it seems to be how society works.
ReplyDeleteIt is really surprising how much this has an effect on our everyday thinking without us even realizing!
ReplyDelete