Thursday, April 12, 2012

Masculinity

Learning about masculinity and how the media advertises it so much really opened my eyes to see it everywhere. When we watched how many Disney movies portrayed that men are supposed to be big and muscular, or they are weird and not as important, it really surprised me. Disney movies have always seemed so uplifting to me, but when you look it at in from that perspective they put people down. I was recently watching Mulan and I noticed all of the things Mulan had to become to be a "true man." She had to become strong and she couldn't ever mess up. It's hard for me as a girl to really know if guys think that they need to be strong all the time, but I'm sure they do because the media makes women feel like they need to be certain things too.

2 comments:

  1. Seeing the examples of the Disney movies also shocked me because I never realized that such little detail could mean so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, that completely changed my view of disney movies. Society expects so much from men and women.

    ReplyDelete