Thursday, March 1, 2012

St. Thomas Soup Kitchen

On my way to the soup kitchen with about 15 other students, I felt excited. I have been to one soup kitchen that I remember when I was in freshman year. I really enjoy serving people so I was not dreading it one bit. I was a little nervous though because you never know the way the clients could be. I expected it to be almost exactly how it was. A big room with a bunch of tables and chairs. People in dirty clothes, some with smiles on their faces, some not making eye contact whatsoever. What I didn't expect was one man I saw looked like he just got out of work; he was in really nice clothes. I handed out the salt, pepper, cream and sugar. People wanted  A LOT of that stuff.
 I would say 95% of the people there were so grateful for us. The other people would not look me into the eyes when I came by. It was so awesome to see people with so little being so thankful for our service. There were only like three kids that I saw. They had the greatest joy in the world, with the biggest smiles on their faces. They didn't notice they didn't have a cellphone or an ipod, they were just happy. Also, there was a woman that had an I love Jesus hat on, and it nearly melted my heart. She was so little and cute. It just continued to amaze me, I could feel her love for God even though she had nothing.
As I went home, I was scared for them. They didn't want to go back out to the cold. They wanted to stay forever, with warmth and food. I was so thankful for everything I had. As I went home on the bus I pulled out my cellphone and my Ipod, and just thought wow, I am not too impressed with these electronics I have, but they are SO happy to get one filling meal. I just thanked God for all that He's blessed me. It was a great experience. February 28, 3pm-7pm. St. Thomas Soup Kitchen

2 comments:

  1. Thats so sweet! It's amazing how the little things you do for people can make their entire day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so great to hear that you learn how to appreciate the things that you have when you truly see what others don't have. Its really amazing what you can give to people just from doing something as simple as serving meals to them.

    ReplyDelete