Thursday, February 2, 2012
Social Construction of Reality
Social construction of reality is how the society we are in makes us see things in certain ways . It's weird to think about how society molds you to think things. I actually had an experience of social construction today. I was drinking tea on the way to class, but I had to go to the bathroom. I thought to myself, is it weird to bring my tea into the bathroom? Society molds us to think that certain things are good or bad, or clean or dirty. Social construction in our high school has made it weird if someone doesn't have internet on their phone or have an ipod. The cool thing about social construction is that it's different everywhere you go because society differs in location.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally agree that social construction is different depending on the place you live in, and that becomes very clear when you talk to family members or friends that live in a different state. Society does send subliminal messages about what is considered "acceptable" and what isn't, but in the grand scheme of things, this shouldn't really matter to us.
ReplyDeleteIt's actually so weird to think and realize how much we are socially constructed in everyday life! I agree with how society sees certain things as good or bad and I'm not sure if that's necessarily a good thing! The idea of judgements comes into play with your tea example because you might have been worried that someone would see you in the bathroom with your tea and give you a weird look or something. We as people tend to not want others to judge us negatively.
ReplyDelete